The Physical Therapy Program is dedicated to excellence as demonstrated through national recognition. We are committed to academic inquiry and expression by fostering evidence-based healthcare research, teaching, service and public engagement. We are committed to cultivating leadership, integrity, and engaged citizenship in our students, faculty, staff, and alumni. Our mission is to advance the health and well-being of the citizens of Connecticut, the nation and beyond through research and the preparation of highly competent physical therapists prepared for general practice.
The Physical Therapy Program at the University of Connecticut will be recognized nationally and internationally as a leader in the generation of new knowledge and the education of Doctors of Physical Therapy. The faculty will be recognized as experts who contribute to improved health status and health care through research, evidence-based practice, education and professional leadership. We endeavor to strive toward individual growth, learning and scholarship, and collective service to the University, community and profession.We will be a diverse community where the highest moral and ethical values prevail.
The Physical Therapy Program faculty:
- Value truth, honesty and open communication;
- Consider academic freedom and debate necessary for program development and well-being;
- Expect all members of the Program to be thoughtful, considerate, patient and to maintain positive working relationships with each other;
- Expect transparency in administrative actions within the limits of protection of personal privacy as is in keeping with the public mission of the University and an inclusive Program community;
- Anticipate that each member of the Program will accept responsibility for their performance improvement and that of the Program;
- Expect professionalism (conforming to the standards of the academic and physical therapy professions) of each member of the Program community;
- Consider instruction that integrates research and practice and is offered within an environment that both challenges and supports students essential to the development of life-long clinician-scholars;
- Embrace diversity in patients, students, faculty and staff as essential to the development of effective physical therapy practitioners and leaders;
- Accept responsibility to pursue scholarship that advances science and clinical practice;
- Value the integration of the best available evidence, clinician experience and patient values in the practice of physical therapy;
- Recognize that a high quality clinical teaching program is a vital part of the curriculum and integral to the success of the Program;
- Value service and public engagement as essential experiences that enhance student and faculty research, support curriculum development and promote the University, Department, and Program as well as its faculty and students.